The Plum family
Ernest W. Plum, a native of Berlin, Germany, arrived in Issaquah as a 15-year-old in 1890, following an older brother, Emil Plum, who later settled in Fall City.
Mr. Plum worked at many trades and lived off the land in a way that is mostly no longer possible. In 1906 while visiting his mother in Baltimore, he met and married Elizabeth Lichtfuss, an ethnic German recently arrived from Temesvar, Hungary.
They immediately returned to Issaquah, first living on the Hobart Road and then in a two-room cabin at Yellow Lake. When it burned down from a chimney fire in 1912, they moved to the abandoned one-room Mountain View schoolhouse, 2-1/2 miles out on the Issaquah-Fall City Road. Still in the family, the later-remodeled family home is the residence of youngest son, John Plum.
Erna, Gertrude and John still live on the plateau. There are nearly 100 direct descendents in the Issaquah and eastern King County area.