NEW — 6:25 p.m. Sept. 16, 2015
There was a time when Issaquah’s young people ran free all summer — as long as they got their chores done first. At least that was the recollection of Jake Jones Jr., who recorded an oral history that is now in the collections of the Issaquah History Museums.
Issaquah History Museums Photo 1914-10-2
Jake Jones Jr. and his grandson Willard Krigbaum Jr. stand in front of the Jones’ home on Dogwood Street in 1937. Twenty-one years later, Krigbaum would record his grandfather’s memories of settlers’ early days in Issaquah.
Jones recalled the summers of the 1890s when he and his half-brother Pierre Joseph Settem went fishing, camping and exploring, and no one knew where they were. At the time, the boys were about 12 and 14 years of age, respectively.
The Issaquah History Museums is kicking off a new season of history hikes with its popular Olde Town Mine Hike on March 28.
Downtown Issaquah was once the site of massive coal-mining operations, and March is the ideal time to explore the historic sites. Docent Doug Bristol will lead a two-hour tour of the sites while treating participants to stories about a mining era that continues to shape downtown Issaquah.
Riders on the Issaquah Valley Trolley Inaugural Run, 2001
p121, #191 Arcadia book caption:
Various dignitaries attended the Issaquah Valley Trolley’s inaugural run on April 30th, 2001. These included King County Executive Ron Sims (left-hand seat, third from front), Issaquah’s Chief of Police Dag Garrison (standing at back of car, in sunglasses) and Issaquah Mayor Ava Frisinger (across the aisle from Sims). The trolley runs from the depot to the Issaquah Visitor’s Center; in the future, the Issaquah Historical Society hopes the trolley will continue to points beyond. Actually, as of 2012, the trolley itself is in the process of being restored. It is anticipated that it will eventually run between the Depot and Gilman Village.
The first thing visitors see upon walking into the Renton History Museum’s Newcastle exhibit is, appropriately, a tribute to a man that means so much to the city’s history.
By Greg Farrar
Rich Crispo, Newcastle council member, stands next to a display case with Milt Swanson’s coal miner helmet and an information poster honoring the late 95-year-old Newcastle native’s contributions to preserving the city’s history. The Renton History Museum’s Newcastle retrospective exhibit is on display until Feb. 7.
Milt Swanson’s mining helmet emblazoned with his name along the side greets museumgoers while sitting in a clear display case.
If you find yourself in downtown Issaquah the night before Halloween, you may catch a glimpse of a gaggle of historical characters rampaging through the area.
Issaquah History Museums
Local residents are photographed at an illicit Prohibition party during the 1920s.
The History Pub Crawl is a partnership between the Downtown Issaquah Association and the Issaquah History Museums to diversify the way local history is taught and to bring Issaquahans out in downtown on a Thursday night.
Alpine Dairy trucks and drivers
p74, #113 Arcadia book caption:
In 1909, dairy farmer John Anderson founded the Northwestern Milk Condensing Co., which became the Alpine Dairy Co. in the 1930s. A number of small farms sold milk to Alpine, which produced and distributed a variety of dairy products. Alpine also sponsored the town football team. Pictured from left to right are Everett Harrington, Gordon Crosby, Carl Walker, Jake Borman, Rod Anderson, and Keith Pickering in front of the Alpine Dairy, circa 1950.
1947 IHS graduating class
The girls in the Issaquah High School class of 1947 received locking Lane cedar hope chest boxes. They are standing in front of Reggie Thomas’ furniture store. Thomas is standing at the far left.
Edna Prue Anderson was elected Miss Spirit of ’76. She was born in 1889 and died in 1980.
1919 Model Ford truck on showroom display, circa 1940s
Two trucks on display in dealer’s showroom, most likely Hepler Ford. The second truck is much newer and may have been one of the new 1948 models that were revealed at Hepler’s in another series of photographs.
Issaquah lost one of its last working farms June 30.
Up on Vaughn’s Hill, south of the Klahanie neighborhood, four generations have owned and operated the self-sustaining McBride Farm since 1891. Age, skyrocketing property taxes and nearby development caused the family to vacate the 660-acre section of land at the end of June, bringing an end to one of the final remnants of Issaquah’s rural past.
By Peter Clark
Celia McBride, the youngest of the four generations to live on the farm north of Issaquah, stands under a canopy of apple trees on the land, which the family refers to as ‘Hobbiton.’
Next Page »